Skip to main content

Traditional wedding in south of Tunisia


After one week here in Tunisia. I realized that at this time of the year weather you can see four seasons in one day. I get lost trying to wear something for the whole day. I look to weather app on my phone each morning try to customize on weather and for how long I will stay out.

As I have one week here, I can say that I still don't know much about Gabes. I heard some names about places that I have to visit such as Chenini, Matemata, Gsour in mednine and many many more. With much excitement and motivation I was waiting for any opportunity to visit those places.

It was weekend I had nothing to do. After a long walk in gabes with Omar. His friend invites us to wedding. I accept to the invitation of wedding in Bouchama of two brothers ( Houssem & Oussama). Bouchama, is not so far. Who lives there has old traditional way for wedding and life in general.

The wedding there is for 3 days. I attended the first and second day of wedding. The first day is all about dancing and having fun with groom's friends. I was honored to enter the groom house and to be close to him, I felt like I am member of the family. Music start and everybody start dancing.

I had so much fun, danced, laughed and had a good time. I even asked for some songs to be played and they played it for me. So, I danced with madness and love. In first day, they don't feed people who comes for the night. But even though, they feed us with Macrona.

Second day of wedding, it is a bit more for family but they invite me. The night starts by an awesome dinner then tea. Then, I had no idea what they will do. They ordered Chairs and women start taking places in last rows and men sits in first rows. It was music band and stand up comedy. I have never been in a wedding with such tradition. I laughed and enjoyed every moment.

The night ends by attendees putting money in big bag. We had this tradition a lot time ago in Algeria where I live. Some places in Algeria still do it.

NEXT: Medenine journey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking in Gabes

Walking is the best joyful moments you will have when you travel. I meet doctors, business mens, youth entrepreneur which I'm grateful for their kindness. Still in contact with them till today.  I'm the kind of person that remember roads, have graphical memory and I trust my Instincts to lead me as I'm walking. So, It's easy for me to tell what road to take to reach my destination, just by seeing a fragment of image or from name of street or even from taxi. Because taxi drivers always tried to take an easy way. Sometimes it's risky but HEY it's life.  I discover a lot of lovely places such as this beautiful work from AIESEC Global Volunteer.  I have been lost sometimes but I always continue my walk without worrying or afraid. I always expect the best from people without been stupid and putting myself in bad situations.   I really recommend walking because you will have no idea how much you will be amazed by the people, views, traditions and coffee

5th day in Tunisia

Each day is an exciting day in Tunisia you never know what you will meet or see. I woke up expecting an exciting day. After I had my coffee I get a call from Wiem to go visit craft show. I dress up and start walking with a big smile. From nowhere someone stopped for me and offered to give me a ride. I expected that he will ask for money. but No, he said that he does it everyday in his way to work for free because it makes this day better. With much amazement of this gentleman kindness, I enjoyed the ride so much and took some pictures. Then I asked him to stop because I only know one way to souk Jara. I thank him so much for being sweet even he don't knows me. I was waiting for bus but I had no luck. So, I start walking. On my way there I noticed that it's still early for people here to start working especially in private sectors. People start working usually at 9 am. Also, I find that the train station where I put my first step in Gabes the first time. It was amazing fe